About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Billy Hornsby….A Life I Hope to Emulate

I think often times we spend wasted energy, worry, and doubt consumed with the life of worldly ambitions. I believe we exist to live larger and to make God a proud Father when we die. While I did not know him personally, Billy Hornsby left a legacy behind that I hope to emulate. I do not wish to live so that I can fill my garage and storage closets with a bunch of junk. Yesterday I was really discouraged by not having a job. I search and search and search, and quite frankly I just get sick of trying for a goal that never seems to have an end. Do you ever feel that way? Do you ever just want to fall back in the Lazy-Boy seat, kick back, and give up on your inner desires and ambitions?

I think that in my situation Hornsby might quote a scripture like Philippians 3:12-14 if I had this self-pitiful conversation with him:

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Hornsby had a Kingdom mind-set. He didn’t just see the room around him. He saw Jesus’ hands pierced in everything he did. He served to plant churches, to save lives, and to impact thousands through his leadership and example to rock this country back and forth for an awakening that can no longer be ignored by our political leaders in both Montgomery and Washington D. C.

I spoke with a new acquaintance in the downtown Starbucks before I had a casual meeting with a reputable advertising manager and editor for a well-known publication in Birmingham. This individual lost everything in the last year and a half – cars, multiple places of residence, costly possessions, etc. He longed to return to a lifestyle in New York City with stuff to pile up in a penthouse apartment. I could just sense the loss as he clung to these things as if they defined him. I personally am satisfied with nice camera equipment, a good car, some clothes, and camping gear in addition to living in the same room I had in high school. That’s right. I live at home. But I love it because there is content in the foundation of being okay with Jesus, just Jesus.

While I was getting caught up in the emotions of not having a job, I got the email concerning Hornsby’s death. Suddenly my stomach inhaled a feeling of remorse for my dissatisfaction in self-analysis of “where I should be.” Hornsby understood the true measure of a man. He had true grit. He was everything I want to be and will spend my life reaching for higher and higher in the goals God sets for my life. When I reach for the stars, I may not reach Hayley’s Comet. But it will feel good when I fall into the precious clouds of God’s Mercy and Love. That is where Hornsby lies now. We seem to forget so easily what our life’s ambitions are in Christ. Publish books. Start nonprofits. Get good jobs. Marry a hot wife. Plant churches. But I will remember where those goals should come from as I achieve them as Hornsby did, from a Father in heaven who is awesomely powerful and loves me more than I could ever imagine or conceive. Today let’s give thanks for Billy. But let’s give thanks for our own lives so that we may smell the roses and be resurrected once more daily in His Perfection and not our meager inadequacies to do it all on our own. Pursue dreams. Live big. Love as you never have before. But do so in His name and His name alone in the celebration of life that we are given once and once only. “Let the glory of your name be the passion of the church….we believe you are all to us!” –Chris Tomlin, live from Passion 2011 in Atlanta, Georgia.


If you would like to know more about Bill Hornsby, this following press release was provided by Church of the Highlands:

Billy Hornsby, founder and President of the Association of Related Churches (ARC) and teaching pastor at Church of the Highlands in Birmingham, Alabama, went to be with the Lord on March 23, 2011, surrounded by family and friends. Billy, 61, had been battling cancer for over two years. He was known for his contagious love and passion for God, family, life, and leaders around the world.

Church of the Highlands will host a memorial service celebrating Pastor Billy’s life at the Grants Mill Campus on Monday, March 28 at 6:30 p.m. CDT. The family is requesting that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Association of Related Churches (ARC), a non-profit ministry which trains, resources and supports church planters.

Billy was born on April 18, 1949 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He married his childhood sweetheart Charlene in 1967. Their ministry together began in 1975 in West Monroe, Louisiana where they started their first church, Victory Fellowship. In 1984 they moved to Germany to serve as missionaries where they planted and supported churches all across Europe. Billy and Charlene moved back to the USA in 1989 and started two new churches in Kentucky. In 1991 they moved back to their hometown in Louisiana to serve as Associate Pastor at Bethany World Prayer Center. Under Pastor Larry Stockstill’s leadership, Billy launched hundreds of small groups at Bethany and trained thousands of other churches in cell church ministry.

In 2001 Billy and Charlene moved to Charleston, South Carolina to serve at Seacoast Church with Pastor Greg Surratt. During his time there, Billy and Greg began to dream about planting life-giving churches all across the country. In 2001, Billy and Greg, along with Dino Rizzo, Rick Bezet, Scott Hornsby, and Chris Hodges, founded the Association of Related Churches. ARC is now one of the largest church planting organizations in the country and trains thousands of church planters every year and gives millions of dollars annually to church planters. In 2008, Billy and Charlene moved to Birmingham, Alabama where the ARC is currently headquartered.

Billy also served as European Coordinator for EQUIP, a non-profit organization founded by John C. Maxwell which specializes in the development of international Christian leaders. Under Billy’s leadership, hundreds of thousands of new leaders have been trained in Europe over the past ten years.

Pastor Billy was also an author and well-known speaker. His books include “The Cell-Driven Church,” “Success for the Second in Command,” “101 Rules for Relationships,” and “The Attractional Church.”

Billy is survived by his wife of 43 years, Charlene; daughter Tammy Hodges and son-in-law Chris; daughter Trudy Bezet and son-in-law David; daughter Shary Long and son-in-law Phil; eight grandchildren: Natalie Gravois, Sarah, Michael, David, Jonathan, and Joseph Hodges, Wesley and Abby Long; brothers Frank Hornsby, Leon Hornsby, Scott Hornsby, and sister Suzanne Hobgood. Billy is preceded in death by two grandchildren, Will Long and Joy Long.

No comments:

Post a Comment