About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

You must meet this Marco…

Last year when I traveled through Europe I met a unique individual by the name of Marco. Marco seems to be a very common name among Spanish-speaking countries. It reminds me of the game I use to play when I was a small child in the swimming pool, which I am still very fond of, Marco Polo. Marco took us out for a night on the La Rambla (main street) in Barcelona, Spain to have a few drinks. At about 2:00 am, I went back to the hostel to get some much needed sleep. My more adventurous friend, Elle, stayed out longer with Marco and of course to possibly indulge in more pleasures of a well-founded drinking consciousness. Marco gave her a distinguished invite into his apartment at about 5:00 am. Even though perhaps extremely happy from a buzz, Elle logically decided to go back to the hostel to catch a train at 7:00 am. She was happily awoken by the Southern accent of a Southern gentleman eager for an update on the early morning’s festivities.

Contrary to the character of this first Marco character I met, I met another Marco I was working with at the orphanage. He is approximately thirty years old and seems to command an authoritative respect with the kids at the orphanage, similar to a “Papa” in the Christian sense. I very much enjoyed my time with Marco. There was something about his character and his personality that just made him a joy to be around. While I would practice my Spanish, which still needs much more practice, he would practice his English. He also made this incredible drink called Abbas, which I believe was stirred and brewed from butterbeans. The kids drank it as if it were coffee in an American style. It had brown sugar and milk to add a more homogenous taste to the mixture. I left Marco a Spanish Bible, a pocket knife very similar to a Leatherman, and a small note of appreciation for my two weeks’ experience at the orphanage with him. I do not say this to brag of a kind gesture but rather than when God moves you to give something away, even if small or big, you will not regret acting on God’s call to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment