About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lessons learned and a touched heart…

As you may have read or not read, I am working at the Cusco Arts Haven. These kids come from all different backgrounds including special disabilities, at-risk homes, and families of low income. I have performed all kinds of tasks, including gardening, cooking, teaching and actively being involved in artwork and English exercises and homework. By the end of this next week, I will have been working here for three weeks. I feel that God is using me here, but sometimes I feel that God teaches me more than I may be teaching other people. My life will be changed after this summer is all well said and done. The Peruvian people and the children have elevated a level of gratefulness I have never attained before. Before this trip, I would often say that I would like to experience a livelihood abroad where things are “simple and less stressful.” What I have come to find out is that things are not so simple in Peru. While there may be less stress in the rush of a normal, routine day, individuals count their pennies here. As a graduate teaching assistant, I do not make a large sum of money, and I probably will not make a middle class income until I finish with my Masters degree at Auburn. But I do not have to worry about the necessities…clothes…food…shelter. From my limited perspective, I would say that some of the kids are probably more concerned with where and when their next meal comes from than doing homework. If this is the case, I could perhaps understand why homework is not the first priority if someone does not eat for several days or if someone has worn the same clothes for thirty days and they are beginning to stink a bit without taking a shower.

This may not be a complete accurate depiction of the children that I work with because I do not know their parents and family situations, but that is not my role as a volunteer who struggles with the basics of Spanish. I still think such situations and descriptions cause us to be thankful for the basics. As Americans, most of us have the basics when many and perhaps most of the world’s population do not.

Like I said before, I would like to believe I am helping these kids, but they may be teaching me by changing and molding my spiritual heart. While working on three different mission projects, some have asked, “Why are you changing projects so often? Why don’t you stay at one project for all six weeks?” When I first started this trip, my basic answer was that I like diversity in the changes of going to different places and working with different people. While this is still true, I have noticed that having exposure to these three mission fields has given me the privilege to experience many different environments. With different experiences, I will learn new lessons in my walk with God, and perhaps in the future, I will have a more solidified field of ministry because I have worked in so many different opportunities. In other words, to discover our passions in servant hood, I believe it is beneficial for people to try several different things. While some might argue in short missions that it is better to experience and stay in one place, I do not necessarily agree with this. Short term missions have the potential to aid individuals in discovering their permanent and perhaps long term location in life. Trying one ministry here and another ministry there gives opportunities for exploration so one may find his or her true passion to change people’s lives for a longer period of time. Staying with one project is not a bad thing, but for those of us who want to experience a few different places, doing so may be better for the individual involved. The amount of mission work you do and where you do rests on where God will have you.

I believe I was called to Cusco to work on these two projects. I remember studying facts briefly about the city of Cusco and my organization, Creative Corners. It just made sense that this is what I wanted to do for a summer in investigating culture and serving others. I could not possibly describe with justice how the confidence formed so quickly to travel here. It was spiritual. It was sure. I read the information, and something inside of me clicked ready to go. And so I am here living my dream and the God-given blessing to be in such a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment