About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Friday, June 12, 2009

My new home here in Cusco...

While I am in Cusco, I am finding that I love the people and the city here. My host family is absolutely awesome! They have a little boy who is one and half, and he is always getting into trouble. Of course, as a result, I laugh my head off because of his silly behaviors. Of course, the people have distinct personalities apart from Americans. I have noticed that people in South America tend to be thankful with just having a job and a paycheck. It is not necessarily about doing this job or that job. I have not yet heard one person complain about life’s circumstances. It makes me wonder if we, as Americans, should complain as much as we do sometimes. Please realize such a realization also very much applies to me.

Today is a holiday in Cusco. I have vividly described the festival in the attached podcast. It was truly a cultural experience I was thankful for. I was eating some meat that was just delicious. It tasted like salty chicken from Kroger’s. I was thinking, “This would be perfect for tailgating at an Auburn football game. Waldo told me that it was a type of rabbit. When I saw the animal, I noticed it was a rat, not a distinct species of rabbit. Honestly, it did not really affect. I just tried to remember the taste and that thousands of people eat this dish every year in Peru. If it does not hurt them, it will probably not hurt me either, but I must admit it was a huge shock to see that I had eaten a rat. That was my exotic dish of an experience. I just tried to remain cool about the ordeal.

When traveling through the hostels, I sometimes get lonely. Living with a host family has been wonderful because I do not miss my family and friends as much in Alabama. I am becoming immersed in the culture and in this home. Waldo told me today, “This is your home.” I found comfort in the statement because this family barely knows me, but they treat me as their own. They have opened their home, and I feel welcomed as a temporary family member. There was no initiation or enculturation process. I walked through the door, and I was treated like I had been here all along.

Please click below to hear about my first few days here in Cusco.

Enjoy a day in Cusco as if you were living with a host family!

No comments:

Post a Comment