About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

New amazements...still being amazed daily....

While on the way back from Manchu Picchu, I was sitting in the coach of a train with a Frenchman and an Argentine. The Frenchman by the name of Timido was backpacking all over South America. He had previously lived in the Caribbean, Spain, London, and was soon moving to New Zealand with his longtime girlfriend. The Argentine was a successful business man from Buenos Aires, and his name was Patrick. It was an interesting conversation about languages and a mix of different cultures.

The Argentine told me he had not spoken English in about six or seven years, but he could still understand everything that I and the Frenchman were discussing. He told me an interesting story about his wife. At one point in their relationship, things were a little more rocky than usual. He did not mention the context of a specific argument, but he said that he had thrown his wedding ring at her only to have asked for it back the next day. I did not get the impression that he was seeking to really depart from the marriage as might be depicted by the symbolic action of actually throwing the ring at his wife. I got the impression it was just something he committed while acting out of emotion instead of logic. He was angry; therefore he did an angry thing. I think that is something we are all guilty of at some point in our lives. Sometime later that year he was in another fight with his wife. For perhaps some of the same reasoning, he threw the ring at her again, except this time she did not give the ring back to him the next day. Her explanation was that she never wanted to feel the same feeling again that she did in the moment of his perhaps inexcusable behavior. This occurred fifteen years ago, and he has yet to receive the ring back from her. This story came about in conversation because I had asked him why he was not wearing a wedding ring. I did so more out of curiosity than just being plain nosy. With some cultures, wearing a ring may not be as popular as the custom has become in our country. Anyway, my curiosity led the telling of this tale in what I would consider a very interesting story.

The story does not just have an ironic humor for me in the fact that the man never got his ring back from his wife. I think it often symbolizes how we react in our impressions of God. While some of us would not consider our rejection as bold as throwing a ring at a spouse, I think some of us probably do such symbolic gestures without even knowing it. That little familiar voice comes into our head asking for our attention or consciously reminding us to do the right thing, and sometimes (whether you choose to believe it or not) we ignore the call that God has for us. We ignore that gentle whisper of a wind only to have our own way and make our own decisions.

I was talking with my father tonight about some of the humbling circumstances since being in South America. I have noticed a lack of knowledge in some of the kids I am working with on a daily basis. Please do not misunderstand my phrasing. I do not think the kids I am working with are by any means unintelligent, but I would consider several of the kids to be behind in terms of academic advancement, especially when they are capable of great things. For reasons unknown to me and perhaps more complicated than I can understand, this has certainly been an observation obvious to me and other volunteers. For instance, one five year girl I have been working with for the past two days has trouble distinguishing from her right or her left and the difference between basic colors. In the small amount of time I have spent with her, she just wants to play and color with crayons instead of learning what I would consider basic childhood common sense. It was an instant gratefulness for the education I have received in the United States. When I was between five and ten years of age, I did not realize how fortunate I was in the foundation that was being set. Several people complain about the educational system in our country, but if those same people came to Peru or Bolivia, they might realize that the educational system in the States is one of the best in the world.

While traveling to Manchu Picchu this past weekend, I met a local who worked in one of the hotels seasonally. His name was Jose (which seems to be a very common name in South America). I was fortunate enough to have an evening conversation with Jose. He was working on his English, and I was surprised by how much Spanish I had learned and/or understood while with him. Of course, I was using my dictionary as much as a remote control when channel surfing when nothing good is on television. Anyway, as he shared his story with me, he informed me that four of his twelve brothers and sisters had died from the measles. I told him that this was a routine shot given to babies in the States. He could not believe that I had the vaccination so early in my childhood, and I could not believe that people were still dying from the measles when in my own ignorance I thought the vaccination was readily available to all persons of the world. Four people in the same family died of the measles! All I could do was express my condolences, but something within me cringed at the thought of how ungrateful I often am when I am living my routine graduate school of an existence in Auburn, Alabama. I felt knots within my intestinal inside parts because I suddenly realized how messed up things are in a messed up world of sin and tragedy. This summer will perhaps be the best of my life, and I guarantee that I will be changed for the betterment of my earthly existence when I return home in August.

Manchu Picchu was one of the most incredible places I have ever visited. I have described some of the trip in more detail in the following podcast. I have also included a clip about the place I am currently volunteering with. I specifically mention details about the wonders I have found in the handiwork of some Peruvians I have had the pleasure of encountering. If you would like, please listen in.

Click here to hear about the precision and amazement of handcrafted Peruvian work.

You have got to see this wonderful place of God's Hand in man's creation of mystery and wonder - Manchu Picchu!

1 comment:

  1. wow James...sounds like your trip has been all you had hoped so far...I'm so glad for you...can't wait to hear about the next adventure :)

    ReplyDelete