About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 17 and 18 – Eat, Pray, and Love….Some Afterthoughts

Tonight I went with my mother to eat dinner at a restaurant named Chuy’s (I highly recommend by the way.) and to see the new Julia Roberts’ flick, Eat, Pray, and Love. I have read the book and enjoyed it even though I did not completely agree with all her religious affiliations and thoughts. I do however find Elizabeth Gilbert’s approach to life reassuring. I find that I am often a free spirit compared to most friends and family. My unique taste for adventure is often seen as an excuse not to grow up or get a real job. I find it interesting that getting a car payment, mortgage, and steady job are what define individuals as people especially in the United States. Unless you do that people silently judge you for not doing that instantly within two weeks out of college or high school. In the book and movie, Elizabeth is asked to name a word that describes her as a person. Her first inclination is to answer “writer,” but she is quickly reprimanded being reminded that this is an occupation not a descriptor for someone’s inner personality.

I have been looked down upon for moving back in with my parents, even though I know several friends who still live with their parents. I have been looked down upon for wanting to travel, do mission work, or as I currently am writing a book. My behavior is often interpreted as irresponsible or I often hear, “You can do that as a part time job” in addition to your full time career. Remember responsibility is defined by having a twenty-five year career so you can retire in luxury only to pat yourself on the back at the end of the journey for what….for a job well done! Americans indulge in this idea of “I worked hard” so “I deserve this.” They often forget that God does not give because people deserve it. He gives because He loves.

I have enjoyed finishing my Master’s degree. I enjoyed going out to dinner with my mother tonight on a mother-son date night. I am enjoying my life, and as Elizabeth Gilbert spent a year of her life finding balance, I think there is something to be said for that.

I am young. I am single. And I do not have a mountain of debt that will take me three decades to pay off. I have freedom to do as I choose. And it just drives some people crazy.

It’s amazing how far some people come. They wake up one day old, gray-haired, and droopy to find themselves miserable in a lifetime’s worth of worries and working for an end all-be all retirement plan. They get divorced. They may end up alone....I wonder honestly all for what? To have no memories….to die alone….or to make everyone else miserable around them.

I respect what Gilbert did. She said enough is enough and took time to enjoy her life without feeling guilty about it. I do not believe God intended for us to feel guilty about enjoying his creation….serious about a career or not. You know what….I am going to the Auburn football game tomorrow to spend some much treasured time with my friends. I am going to spend the next two weeks diving into church life and writing. Then I am going backpacking for five days in the Smoky Mountains. It is not a year in Italy, India, and Indonesia, but I still understand the concept of taking time to enjoy my life with God and not feeling guilty about it. But apparently people get angry when that is not considered taking life seriously. Or perhaps I take life more seriously because I take time to enjoy it. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment