About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Brad Hughes is the Rock? Read along and find out just how solid his written word is….

Below you will find the word of Brad Hughes. He is a fellow Amplifier, and these are his words verbatim in his reaction to an amazing week of worship and service.

Amplify is a truly unique experience.

This was my first opportunity to go on the Amplify trip during my 3 years at Auburn. I really had no idea of what it would be like. I knew that some would be doing construction/repair jobs and that some would be doing community outreach. I'm a big-time relational guy and have a heart for missions, so I chose to go the route of community outreach. Missions is something that I am pretty familiar with as I grew up as an MK in 5 different countries. I came on this trip with a big expectation for God to move and make his presence known among the people of Port St. Joe, and as always, God didn't disappoint.

Our community outreach groups would spend the mornings making sandwiches for everyone and doing everything else we needed to prepare for the day. At noon we would head out into the community and build relationships with the people there, with the obvious ultimate goal in mind of bringing Christ glory. In some cases that was leading these people to Christ, and in many, it was planting seeds of truth and love into their lives that could be harvested in the days and years to come.

My group in particular, which included Anna Hix, Clifford Waite, and Lauren Stone, had a good time building a relationship with one couple in particular. Their names are Charles and Katrina. These two are dating, and Charles moved to Port St. Joe in August to be with Katrina and her two grandchildren. Charles can't work due to two herniated discs in his back (we share that in common!) and a bum shoulder. One of the questions Clifford asked when we first met Charles was, "so Charles, what is it that brings you joy?" This is such a great question to ask to gauge someone's relationship with Christ because joy is something that nothing on this earth can bring. Fleeting "happiness" comes from things in this world, but real joy comes from none other than Christ.

A common theme that we found in the lives of most in this community was that many believed that it is through works that we attain salvation. Many knew the Word of God enough to get by the surface questions, but there was so much lacking beneath that surface. That is something in particular that God has been challenging me with lately. A great line from a Shane & Shane song says "Lord forbid familiarity would keep me from your majesty. The reality oh Lord of your proximity to me. You're beckoning me, oh Lord to be holy..." Familiarity to the gospel is such a dangerous thing. This gives us a head knowledge of God's Word but He calls us to so much more than that. 1 Peter 3:15 says "Sanctify the Lord God in your HEARTS, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear." Many of those we approached this week could not give such a defense for any kind of faith they had, and many had a very warped sense of what Scripture actually says because they have not examined themselves and sanctified it in their hearts.

Amplify 2010 was an incredible experience and unlike anything I have ever been a part of. I can only hope that I made even a fraction of an impact on these people's lives as they had on mine.

I came away from Port St. Joe with one prayer:

"God, Thank you for how you love the people of Port St. Joe. Please help them to begin to truly understand the significance of that love and don't let any kind of man-made distractions get in the way of them loving you back. Please help them to understand the urgency of the Gospel message. In the name of Jesus we forbid any kind of familiarity of that Gospel message but let a new life be breathed into it each time it reaches their ears and hearts. Your Word says that EVERY knee shall bow and EVERY tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. We know that your Word will not return void. Thank you for sending your Son, who knew no sin, to become sin in the place of ALL those who believe. It is in His name's sake that we pray these things."

Amen.

"Then the king will answer, 'I tell you the truth. Anything you did for any of my people here, you also did for me.'"

-Brad Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment