About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Final thoughts and a personal challenge from my experience with Amplify

Today I took a walk with a new friend, and she shared some interesting insight with me. She really challenged some of my conventional ways of thinking in terms of how things are or how things should be.

During the trip, on a few occasions I would hear other people talking about other people, and sometimes it was not in the best of light with what people were saying about each other. While these individuals may not have “intended” to hurt another person’s feelings, if the person was aware that someone was talking about him or her, I guarantee their feelings may have been hurt.

This week and this upcoming weekend I have been working on a message to give at Auburn Christian Fellowship. I am going to speak about my disability and what I have overcome with my disability. I bet some of you even have a stigma arising in your mind when I mention that word, “disability.” If that is the case, why do you cognitively think a certain way when that word is mentioned? The same stigmas are attached to other associations that people may have, such as “graduate student,” “sorority girl,” or “football player.” Our intentions automatically arouse feelings negative or positive when it comes to these labels. You have already formed molds in your minds of what these words mean. As you were challenged this week to better understand the qualities of God in His incomprehensibility, His knowability, and His self-sufficiency, I would also challenge you to better understand the qualities of people you may not understand. In other words, dig deeper to better know a person. Why does he or she react a certain way? Why is his or her personality this way around other people? Do not judge people. Know them. Love them. Rejection even if subtle hurts but acceptance will always touch the heart in positive measures sometimes more exponentially then you will ever know.

People in a suffering world are struggling enough without negative words adding to existent resentment someone already may have. If you have something to say about someone, please be positive and kind with your chosen words, and if you truly have a conflict or problem with someone, then confront the person you have a conflict or problem with. Do not talk behind another person’s back unless you are truly consulting advice on what to do or how to say something to someone.

What I have often noticed more cases than not is that someone’s words does not only affect the relationship with the person you may be talking about. You affect that relationship with the person you are talking to with the person you are talking about. In other words, the person you are talking to may perceive a person differently after you talk to them about that person, therefore affecting his or her friendship with the person you are talking about. Your words and actions often have repercussions that people never even consider. Before you act, consider carefully what you are doing. Mothers across the country say this for a reason: “Think before you speak.”

I have thoroughly enjoyed my week with Amplify. Relationships have grown. I have laughed uncontrollably at times, which is exactly what the doctored ordered after a stressful two weeks with comprehensive exams and oral defenses. In addition to the sermons and lessons I heard, I will be digesting the memories of this trip for quite some time in the awesomeness of what God has taught me. I cannot thank each and every one of you enough for what you each have individually done for me whether through word or action in what you have done for me. Thank you for a great week. To the people of Port St. Joe, thank you for loving me as a brother in Christ and for challenging me in ways I have not been challenged in a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment