About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Our stories: The narrative of life

I have heard funny stories, miraculous stories, and stories of every sort this week. In the field of Communication, we often study this idea of narrative. I find narratives interesting not because of research in Social Sciences but rather as a collection of stories that become intertwined with other believers in this beautiful thing called life. In Donald Miller’s new book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, he talked about life in the mention of story, how a story is constructed, how the characters come into being, and how an unfinished book may become a masterpiece. A good example may be a story I heard yesterday. A fellow community outreach member told me that he met an older woman who was dying from cancer in a struggle to keep her life. She professed to be a believer in Jesus Christ but do not seem to comprehend the idea of eternal life with a Loving God. She literally did not know that life is just the beginning of an unfinished book. While I am not entirely sure how her narrative had come to this point in the fear of the end, this community outreach member reassured her of the hope we have in the eternal…that when she dies if she professes and believes in the Name of Jesus Christ she will indeed join Him for a celebration unlike any kind that becomes incomprehensible for our feeble human minds. From this story in her narrative, I truly gathered that this newfound hope brought peace at the end of her race.

Another story I heard was from another female friend here in the journey we are and have been taking together this week. Her story involved an elderly woman who seemed overjoyed by the actual visit of people who were coming to spend time with her. It is incredible how something as small as just spending time with someone becomes the best gift you could give to someone. Perhaps that is why it is one of many people’s love languages. For approximately an hour and half this woman shared her faith, her narrative, and her story of how she came to Christ in the hope that He provides. While the girls in this particular scenario were coming to minister to the elderly lady, I think she ministered to them in the wisdom that years of experience in her life had created. While young people such as ourselves are often very bold in our stand for Christ, sometimes the best thing we can do is listen…listen to narratives of those who have lived lifetimes full of stories. There is even wisdom in being quiet while others have the spotlight or the microphone to share another narrative other than your own. This is definitely a respectful nature of conversation I am trying to learn to improve upon. Even by the length of this blog entry, you may have gathered that I like to talk.

We seek to create revival when sometimes where we see to create that revival becomes the place where we ourselves become revived.

For instance, today I met a man named Tony who really opened my eyes to being grateful and just not complaining over really stupid things, which typically for me is some aspect of graduate school (graduation exams, long papers, not getting along with a group member, etc.). In the last year, Tony had his leg amputated because he caught an infection, and the doctors were unfortunately unable to save it. He has also been on the kidney transplant list for the last five years or so. He must have dialysis done three times a week, which I have been told is very painful. Now while some past decisions may be catching up with Tony, I was still touched by his attitude to remain positive in the hope of a Savior. Here was a man stuck on the street corner where all he could do was enjoy the weather, the breeze, and the sunshine. He mentioned that it would not be beneficial for him or anyone else to wallow in his own self-pity. He said that he would give anything to come visit Auburn, Alabama for just one day. Tony said that if he came to visit such a wonderful place he knew that he would not want to leave. Tony has been in Port St. Joes since 1984; he originally lived in Washington DC. It just seemed that he was dying to visit somewhere and try something different for just a few days. I take it so for granted that I can just pick up whenever and go visit another town just about wherever I want to in my car. In other words, I am very mobile with a nice jeep and insurance. I also do live in a beautiful city. Auburn is a great place! And people love it there. I walk around a beautiful campus and usually do not even take time to notice the silhouette of an amazing piece of architecture on the front of Samford lawn as the sun goes down. It broke my heart because Tony was just glad to be alive, and that was it. There was no complexity about his daily routines of going to the hospital three times a week or sitting on the corner to enjoy the sunlight, but he was just glad to do it. I found it humorous that he would make fun of the rap music as some local neighbors drove by making sure everyone around them heard their favorite Hip Hop song. I have both my legs and a naturally healthy body. I have an incredible educational background with a loving family. I forgot to mention that Tony is the only living member of his family still alive; so in reality, he may really have no one. There is no room for complaining here. If a person who clearly has more serious issues than I have can enjoy life in it truest simplicities, then I should be able to do the same in the Grace and gifts God has given to me. Be grateful. Do not whine or complain. And have a positive attitude. This is what my new friend Tony taught me today in the reminders he provided in a very enlightening conversation and experience. It may honestly have been my favorite memory of the week.

In life experiences of good or bad, our narratives in the timeline of life become constructed. For many of us, that narrative may soon come to an end on the earthly side, but that only means that the real story is about to begin in the presence of Jesus. For others, the narrative has just began here on earth, and your life has many more steps to follow in pursuit of our God, His Love, and the best gift history has ever been given, the sacrifice of His Son. That is where our narrative really begins…at the foot of the cross, in the piercings of wrists with the pouring of bloodshed for us. Just imagine if your narrative had been there to see what Christ did for us…to witness in person what He did for us. While Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ is a cinematic work of art that will touch hearts for many years to come, it still takes place on the movie screen. I think if we saw in person the blood that spewed upon the ground our perceptions would never forget that story. We read the words, but sometimes we forget to live them. The Grand Narrative is that He died to pay the penalty for what in perfection we could not fathom to pay the penalty for. This is where it all begins and where it all ends. Our narratives…our unfinished books start and end here. Everything stands at this pivotal point in this fascinating story of a Savior who loved us just that much. He cares for us more than we can comprehend. The Grand Narrative has been written into reality. The question is: are you willing to base your own narrative in the faith of His Grand Narrative? Remember our stories and life narratives all begin here in the moment of His Death, and because He has been resurrected, our narratives may be shaped and molded as the Carpenter sees fit. Your life is a narrative of trials and great memories in He that gave everything. Write a narrative worthy of His Glory. Write a narrative that brings to life the passions of your heart. Write a narrative in the pursuit of dreams and the pursuit of the One who will fulfill those dreams in His Grand Narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment