About Me

My photo
I am one of the most random people you may ever meet. I do my best to enjoy life in general, and I try to be content with what God has blessed me to have in my life. I am a blunt, honest individual that will give you an honest opinion if asked. Relationships are the most important things in my life. I am concerned with only the opinions of close friends, family, and other close relations of people who care about me. Otherwise, I tend to not care what other people think of me. I am not here to please the world. I am on this planet to serve others in hopes that God finds favor with my efforts to do so at the end of my Earthly existence. I am a good-natured person that lives for the moment. Even though not always successful, I try to look at things in a positive light with a productive attitude and world view. I am thankful for each breath that I take because each breath that is taken is a blessing in of itself. Make the most of what you can while you can. You get one chance at this thing called life. So try your best to Glorify God and Enjoy Him Forever. If you have any questions about me or my BLOG, don't hesitate to ask, and I will give you a straightforward answer.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Definition of the Verb Engagement by MOM –

When I heard the word “engagement,” my heart sunk to the bottom of my chest because I thought my son of almost-thirty had moved out of our house to join the wife of his dreams, but then I realized my boss just wanted me to define a public speaking term.

The engagement of communication occurs on two accords: the individual and the group. Engagement is the capacity to relate from another’s perspective while in communication with that individual. You attempt to understand a paradigm where an effort to do so is reciprocated and gratefully appreciated from the corresponding individual where communication is asymmetrical (an active effort of speaking and listening two ways).

While the gift to engage on a personal level is trait all spend a lifetime to perfect (Important side note: I think that is called marriage.), engaging an audience of size moves with feeling and tapping into the emotions to motivate and inspire. If you are not able to engage an audience, then they may simply fall asleep. Even in the most trivial of topics, you must feel as they feel, do as they do, or get on the level of those you are speaking to. The honest observation of most public servants or leaders is that they can rarely relate to the lifestyle of those they speak to. Like the individual, you must connect on a group-wide scale within five minutes. Engagement in this element is the ability to relate, understand, and connect with audience members in a manner that changes lives and moves minds to work towards and through common vision. Engagement is a true gift that only few successful orators possess. It is a level of engagement that is more difficult to attain than individualistic engagement. Some of us are born to engage. Others are born to follow those who can.

While I would like my son to be engaged and move out, let’s just settle with this: Engagement is genuine connection through relationship. If you can relate, you can engage and therefore connect. It occurs on an individual and group level, the later being more difficult than the first.

*** Special Note: Do not tell Mom’s boss, but I think the author of this blog helped her with this homework assignment. ***

Okay, this is what Mom wished REALLY happened! This dude is a super smoother operator from the one and only Plains of Auburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment